Chocolate Covered Cherries
Makes approximately 36 candies
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Additional powdered sugar
2 (4-ounce) jars maraschino cherries with stems, drained
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 block paraffin
Foil candy cups
1. In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter or margarine, milk, and almond extract to form fondant. Form fondant into a ball. Cut ball in half. Cover one half with damp cloth and set aside.
2. Sprinkle additional powdered sugar onto wax paper. Roll the remaining fondant to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch circles.
3. Pat maraschino cherries with a towel until as dry as possible. Dust hands with powdered sugar.
4. Place a cherry into center of each fondant circle. Mold fondant around cherry. Place fondant-covered cherries on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Repeat process with reserved fondant. Freeze overnight.
5. Melt chocolate chips and paraffin in a double boiler. Remove fondant-covered cherries from the freezer. Dip cherries into melted chocolate. Be sure to cover completely. Place chocolate-covered cherries into foil candy cups and cool. Store covered in refrigerator.
Note: For best results, refrigerate 1 week before eating.