Chocolate Macaroons with Strawberry Filling
Makes about 2 dozen
3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
3 egg whites, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar
Strawberry Filling (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 275°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats; set aside.
2. In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse almonds until very finely ground. Add confectioners’ sugar and cocoa; process until well combined.
3. In a medium bowl, combine egg whites and vanilla. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until frothy. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold almond mixture into egg-white mixture until well combined. Let batter stand for 15 minutes.
4. Spoon batter into a large pastry bag fitted with a round tip. Pipe batter in 1 1/2-inch rounds, 2 inches apart, onto prepared baking sheets. Let cookies stand at room temperature for 45 minutes before baking. (This helps develop the signature crisp exterior.) Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until firm to the touch. Let cool on pans completely.
5. Spread Strawberry Filling in the center of the flat side of 1 cookie, and sandwich 2 cookies together. Repeat with remaining filling and cookies. Store cookies in an airtight container.
Makes about 3/4 cup
2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup strawberry preserves
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, preserves, and confectioners’ sugar. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.