Cranberry Cinnamon Rolls
Makes 1 1/2 dozen
1 cup warm milk (105° to 110°)
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar, divided
3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
Orange Glaze (recipe follows)
1. In a small bowl, combine warm milk, yeast, and 2 tablespoons sugar; let stand for 5 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, combine 3 cups bread flour, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine milk mixture, oil, and egg. Gradually add flour mixture to milk mixture, beating until smooth after each addition. Beat in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
5. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover, and let stand in a warm place, free from drafts, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size. Punch dough down; cover, and let stand for 10 minutes.
6. Lightly grease 1 (10-inch) cake pan; set aside.
7. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans, cranberries, and cinnamon, stirring to combine. Stir in 1/4 cup melted butter; set aside.
8. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to an 18x10-inch rectangle. Brush dough with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle with brown-sugar mixture, leaving a 1-inch border on long side of dough. Starting at long side, roll up dough, jelly-roll fashion, pressing edge to seal. Cut into 1-inch slices, and place in prepared pan. Cover, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
9. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake rolls for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
10. Invert pan onto a serving dish. Drizzle Orange Glaze over tops of rolls.
Makes about 1/2 cup
In a small bowl, combine 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, 1 teaspoon orange zest, and 1/4 cup fresh orange juice, and whisk until smooth.