Double Chocolate Éclairs
Makes 1 dozen
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
4 large eggs
1 recipe Chocolate Cream Filling (recipe follows)
1 recipe Chocolate Glaze Icing (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, sift together flour and salt.
3. In a medium saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil over medium heat. Add flour mixture, and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon, until mixture forms a ball.
4. Remove from heat; let cool 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time; beat with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds after each addition, until smooth.
5. Using a pastry bag with a large round tip, pipe batter into 4-inch long strips, 2 inches apart, on prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until golden and puffy; cool on wire rack. Cut off the top of each éclair. Pull out and discard soft dough inside, reserving top.
7. To assemble, spoon or pipe Chocolate Cream Filling into bottom of each éclair. Dip top of each éclair into Chocolate Glaze Icing, letting excess drip off. Replace top of éclair.
Chocolate Cream Filling
Makes about 2 1/2 cups
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
4 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
1 tablespoon chocolate liqueur (optional)
1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup
1. In a medium bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar alternately with cream, beating until light and fluffy.
2. Add chocolate, chocolate liqueur, and corn syrup, beating to mix well.
Chocolate Glaze Icing
Makes about 1 1/4 cups
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
1. In a medium saucepan, bring cream, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat. Stir in chocolate morsels until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly before use.