Chicken, Broccoli, and Poppy Seed Casserole
Makes about 8 servings
- 1½ cups long-grain rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 1 cup crushed buttery round crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a shallow 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook rice according to package directions, substituting broth for water. Set aside.
- In a 12-inch skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle flour over onion; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Add cream cheese; cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until cream cheese is melted and smooth, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in poppy seeds, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese mixture, rice, chicken, and broccoli, stirring to coat. Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Loosely cover with foil.
- Bake until heated through, 25 to 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss together crushed crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake until crumbs are lightly browned, about 8 minutes more. Serve immediately.