Celebrate Presidents’ Day and Washington’s fabled cherry tree with our Cherry Scones.
Write a review
- Makes 1 dozen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly. Stir in chopped cherries.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup cream, sour cream, and cherry juice, whisking until smooth. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened (dough will be sticky).
- On a lightly floured surface, with floured hands, press dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut out scones, and place on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream. Bake until lightly browned, 15 to 17 minutes.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/