This decadent Almond Roca is garnished with edible gold leaf and gold sparkling sugar!
Makes 2 pounds
- 1½ cups sliced almonds, toasted, divided
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 2 (12-ounce) packages milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- Garnish: edible gold leaf, gold sparkling sugar
- Sprinkle ¾ cup almonds onto the bottom of a jelly-roll pan; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and butter over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture registers 290°. Watch carefully after mixture reaches 280° to prevent it from burning. Remove from heat. Pour evenly over sliced almonds. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, microwave chocolate chips and shortening on high (100% power) in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until completely melted and smooth, about 1½ minutes total. Pour chocolate over almond layer. Sprinkle with remaining ¾ cup almonds. Garnish with edible gold leaf and gold sparkling sugar, if desired. Allow mixture to set, approximately 2 hours.
- Once mixture is set, break into pieces, using a knife. Store covered at room temperature for up to 5 days.