Celebrate fall with this magazine cover-worthy recipe.
Apple Butter Pound Cake
Makes 1 (15-cup) bundt cake
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1¼ cups firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Glaze (recipe follows)
- Spray a 15-cup Bundt pan with baking spray with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together apple butter, ¼ cup brown sugar, and pecans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium-high speed with a mixer until smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Add remaining 1 cup brown sugar, sugar, and salt; beat at high speed for 10 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add flour, cinnamon, and baking powder, beating until well combined.
- Spoon one-third of batter into prepared pan. Spoon half of apple-butter mixture over batter in pan. Top with another third of batter, the remaining half of apple butter, and the remaining batter. Using a knife, pull blade back and forth through batter to swirl apple-butter layers. Smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Place in a cold oven. Bake at 300° until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle with glaze.
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, cream, vanilla, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved, approximately 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool for 10 minutes. Whisk in confectioners’ sugar.
Note: This version of the Apple Butter Pound Cake recipe corrects a mistake in the printed version from our September 2015 issue, which did not explain how to properly divide the brown sugar listed in the ingredients.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!