This Apple-Cranberry Cobbler is full of seasonal flavor.
Makes 8 servings
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 medium Gala apples, thinly sliced
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons apple pie spice
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons sparkling sugar
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, cornmeal, and salt; pulse until combined. Add butter and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until a dough forms. Turn out dough, and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For filling: In a small bowl, combine cranberries and 1 cup boiling water. Let stand until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, toss together cranberries and apples. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, flour, lemon juice, apple pie spice, and salt; toss well.
- Spoon into a shallow 11x7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with butter.
- Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12½x8½-inch rectangle. Trim to straighten edges. Cut dough lengthwise into 7 equal strips. Place 3 strips of dough lengthwise over filling. Place remaining 4 strips of dough crosswise over filling. Trim excess dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 2 teaspoons water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!