This decadent two-layer Apple Spice Cake with Browned Butter Frosting is a great addition to autumn menus.
Apple Spice Cake with Browned Butter Frosting
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⅓ cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- ½ cup apple butter*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Browned Butter Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: small fresh apples
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper, and spray pans again.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Beat in apple butter and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, using clean beaters, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed just until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Stir one-fourth of egg whites into batter. Gently fold in remaining egg whites. Divide batter between pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Spread Browned Butter Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with apples, if desired.
*We used Dickinson’s Country Apple Butter.
Browned Butter Frosting
Makes about 5 cups
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 (2-pound) package confectioners’ sugar
- 8 to 10 tablespoons whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook until butter turns a medium-brown color and has a nutty aroma, about 10 minutes. Pour into a small bowl; let cool slightly. Refrigerate until almost firm, about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, beat browned butter with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, milk, cinnamon, and salt, beating until smooth.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!