Fresh lemon juice and chives elevate a creamy bisque of asparagus and avocado, a tantalizing first course for any menu.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 ripe avocados, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Garnish: olive oil
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and ¼ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes. Add broth, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Reserve ⅓ cup asparagus mixture.
- In the container of a blender, place remaining asparagus mixture, cream, avocado, chives, lemon juice, pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt; process until smooth.
- Return soup to Dutch oven, and cook until heated through. Top with reserved ⅓ cup asparagus mixture and garnish with oil, if desired.
This can be served chilled.
Discover seasonal style ideas, delicious recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!