Our Asparagus-Fennel Soup is a wonderful blend of yellow onions, fennel, garlic, russet potatoes, asparagus, and tarragon.
Makes about 2 quarts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups diced russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- ¼ cup fresh tarragon leaves
- ½ cup sour cream
- Garnish: fresh tarragon leaves, extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and fennel; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, potatoes, wine, 1 cup water, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Reserve ¼ cup asparagus tips for garnish. Add remaining asparagus; cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Remove soup from heat, and let cool for 5 minutes; add tarragon.
- Working in batches, transfer soup to the container of a blender; blend until smooth. Return soup to Dutch oven, and heat over low heat; whisk in sour cream. Garnish with reserved ¼ cup asparagus tips, tarragon, and oil, if desired.