Add these tasty Asparagus, Ham, Mushroom & Parmesan Tartlets to your seasonal menus.
Asparagus, Ham, Mushroom & Parmesan Tartlets
Serves: about 40 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup whole buttermilk
- ½ cup sliced hickory-smoked deli ham
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh asparagus
- 1 cup chopped fresh portobello mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour and salt; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add buttermilk in a slow, steady stream, pulsing just until a dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- For filling: In a large skillet, place a single layer of ham. Cook over medium-high heat until crispy, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan, and let drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining ham. Shred ham into fine pieces.
- Wipe skillet clean, and add oil to pan. Add asparagus, mushrooms, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in ham. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Stir in Parmesan.
- Turn each dough disk onto a lightly floured surface and roll to a 12-inch circle. Place one piece of dough on a mini pie mold*, and gently press down into cavities. Spoon 1 tablespoon filling into each cavity. Brush a thin layer of water around edges of each cavity. Use serrated rolling pin to score another piece of dough. Place serrated dough on top of filling, and use smooth rolling pin to seal edges. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and cream. Brush a thin layer of egg wash onto each tartlet. Place tartlets ¼ inch apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until golden brown, about 18 minutes. Let cool slightly; serve warm.
*We used Lékué Mini Pie Kit.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!