Our Autumn Chowder is a delightful blend of red potatoes, sweet potatoes, shredded duck meat, and fresh thyme with a crumbled bacon garnish.
Makes 5 quarts
- 10 slices bacon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup butter
- 4 cups (½-inch) diced onion
- 2 cups (½-inch) diced celery
- 2 cups (½-inch) diced carrot
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 4 cups (½-inch) diced red potatoes
- 3 cups (½-inch) diced sweet potatoes
- 4 cups cooked shredded duck meat
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Garnish: cooked, crumbled bacon
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crispy.
- Remove bacon and set aside. Reserve ¼ cup bacon drippings in pan.
- Add butter, heating until butter is melted. Add onion, celery, carrot, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add flour; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add chicken broth, stirring until well combined; bring to a boil. Add red potatoes and sweet potatoes; cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add duck and half-and-half; simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in thyme. Garnish with reserved bacon, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!