This refreshing Autumn version of Country Captain Casserole is perfect for sunday supper with your family and friends.
Autumn Country Captain Casserole
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- Garnish: sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together squash, 1 teaspoon oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Arrange squash in an even layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside. Leave oven on.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add roasted squash, tomatoes, rice, broth, curry powder, remaining 1½ teaspoons salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and green onions; spoon into prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk; pour over rice mixture.
- Bake until squash is tender and eggs are cooked, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with green onions, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!