Toss crisp apples and carrots in butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla before baking to bubbly perfection.
Baked Cinnamon Apples and Carrots
MAKES 6 TO 8 SERVINGS
- 2 pounds whole carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 16 wedges
- 2 large Honeycrisp apples, cored and cut into 16 wedges
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 13×9-inch glass baking dish, toss carrots and apples together. Distribute butter cubes evenly on top.
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly on top of carrots and apples. Drizzle vanilla on top of sugar. Tightly cover and seal dish with foil.
- Bake until liquid is bubbling and carrots are fork tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove apples and carrots from liquid and place in a serving bowl.
- Pour remaining liquid into a medium saucepan. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Whisk cornstarch mixture into saucepan. Let cook over medium heat until boiling, whisking occasionally. Let boil 1 to 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and serve with carrots and apples.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!