Parmesan cheese, kale, and turnip greens combine to create a savory Baked Greens Gratin.
Baked Greens Gratin
Makes about 8 servings
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound kale, stemmed and chopped
- ½ pound turnip greens, trimmed and chopped
- 2 cups day-old brioche or challah, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream and garlic to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 5 minutes. Whisk in cream cheese, Parmesan, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper until smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a 12-inch skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and remaining ¾ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Working in batches, stir in kale and turnip greens; cook until wilted. Stir in cream mixture until combined. Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish. Top with bread cubes.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Don’t miss our delicious recipes, party ideas for every occasion, and seasonally themed special issues! Subscribe to Southern Lady today!