Opt for an upscale take on classic green beans this Thanksgiving with our Balsamic Green Beans and Caramelized Shallots. To round out the meal, pair with our Molasses Glazed Turkey.
Balsamic Green Beans and Caramelized Shallots
Write a review
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 shallots, quartered lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 3 (8-ounce) bags French green beans
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Garnish: toasted sliced almonds
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots, 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet, and set aside.
- In skillet, heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add green beans; cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar, remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, butter, brown sugar, and garlic, stirring until butter is melted. Add reserved shallot; cook for 1 minute until heated through. Garnish with almonds, if desired.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/