Opt for an upscale take on classic green beans this Thanksgiving with our Balsamic Green Beans and Caramelized Shallots. To round out the meal, pair with our Molasses Glazed Turkey.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 shallots, quartered lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 3 (8-ounce) bags French green beans
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Garnish: toasted sliced almonds
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots, 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet, and set aside.
- In skillet, heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add green beans; cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar, remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, butter, brown sugar, and garlic, stirring until butter is melted. Add reserved shallot; cook for 1 minute until heated through. Garnish with almonds, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!