This classic Banana Split is the perfect companion on hot summer days.
Makes 1 serving
- ½ banana, split lengthwise
- 3 scoops Salted Caramel-Banana Ice Cream (recipe follows)
- 4 orange segments
- 1 slice pineapple
- 2 maraschino cherries
- Garnish: salted caramel sauce, whipped cream, coconut
- Place banana in a dessert bowl. Top with ice cream and all remaining ingredients. Garnish with caramel sauce, whipped cream, and coconut, if desired.
Salted Caramel-Banana Ice Cream
Makes approximately 1 quart
- 8 egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ripe bananas, smashed (about 2 cups smashed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup salted caramel sauce
- Place a large bowl in an ice-water bath. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and ½ cup sugar.
- In a medium saucepan, bring cream, remaining ¼ cup sugar, and salt just to a boil over medium heat. Whisk approximately one-third of hot cream mixture into egg mixture in a slow steady stream. Transfer egg mixture to saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer registers 180°, about 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in cream cheese until well combined. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into prepared bowl in ice-water bath. Stir in banana, lime juice, and vanilla extract. Let mixture cool until chilled, stirring occasionally. Remove bowl from ice water bath; cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Freeze mixture in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. (Ice cream will be soft.) Transfer to a resealable container. Stir in salted caramel sauce, smoothing top with a spoon. Freeze until firm, approximately 4 hours.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!