These decadent Bananas Foster Ice Cream Cake is the perfect ending to a summer meal.
Bananas Foster Ice Cream Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package golden butter cake mix*
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup water
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 to 3 bananas, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- Caramel Rum Sauce (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, ½ cup water, and butter with a mixer at low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat for 4 minutes. Stir in pecans. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake according to package directions. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Place 1 cake layer, bottom side up, on a cake plate. Top with one-fourth of ice cream, smoothing surface with a knife or spatula. Repeat with remaining 2 cake layers. (For best results, place freeze cake for 20 to 30 minutes after adding each layer of ice cream.) After third layer of ice cream, arrange small scoops of ice cream on top around edge of cake. (Scoops should be touching.) Freeze until ready to serve.
- To serve, pile banana slices in center of cake, and pour ¾ cup cooled Caramel Rum Sauce over bananas. (Rum sauce will run down sides of cake between scoops of ice cream.) Serve remaining sauce with cake.
*We used Duncan Hines.
Caramel Rum Sauce
Makes 1½ cups
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup rum plus 2 tablespoons water, or 1 teaspoon rum flavoring plus ⅓ cup water
- In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon. Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and add rum (or rum flavoring) and water. Return to heat,
- and stir until sauce is thick and smooth. Transfer sauce to a measuring cup with a pouring spout, and let cool.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!