These delicious Barnyard Baked Beans are full of flavor from applewood smoked bacon, brown sugar, and maple syrup.
Barnyard Baked Beans
Makes 12 servings
- 12 slices applewood-smoked bacon
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 (31-ounce) cans pork and beans, drained
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup Creole mustard
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crispy. Crumble bacon, and set aside. Reserve ½ cup bacon drippings.
- In 2 tablespoons reserved drippings, cook onion and garlic over medium heat for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine pork and beans, remaining reserved drippings, onion mixture, brown sugar, maple
- syrup, mustard, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Spoon beans into a 15x10-inch casserole dish. Top with crumbled bacon. Bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly.