This Basil-Strawberry Crème Tart is the perfect sweet ending for your summer menus.
Basil-Strawberry Crème Tart
Makes 1 (10-inch) tart
- 2¼ cups crushed vanilla wafers
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 (6-ounce) box strawberry gelatin
- 11/3 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 (8-ounce) containers frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Garnish: fresh strawberries, fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- For crust: In a large bowl, stir together cookie crumbs, brown sugar, and melted butter. Add egg white, stirring to combine. Press mixture into bottom and 1 inch up sides of a 10-inch springform pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For filling: In a medium bowl, whisk together gelatin and 1⅓ cups boiling water until gelatin is dissolved. Cover and refrigerate until mixture is thickened but not set, about 1 hour.
- Pour mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer; stir in lemon juice. Beat at medium-high speed until thick and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with a mixer at medium speed until foamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Stir in strawberries and basil. Add to gelatin mixture, stirring gently to combine. Pour mixture into prepared crust. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Top tart with whipped topping. Garnish with strawberries and basil, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!