This classic Beef & Barley Soup is a hearty treat during the fall and winter.
Beef & Barley Soup
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (4-pound) chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 (8-ounce) packages sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups diced carrot
- 2½ cups diced celery
- 2 quarts beef broth
- 2 (10.5-ounce) cans beef consommé
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ cups pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- In a large Dutch oven or stock-pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add roast; cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned and liquid evaporates. Remove meat and set aside.
- In Dutch oven, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic; cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and liquid evaporates.
- Add reserved meat, carrot, celery, beef broth, consommé, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Add barley, and cook, covered, for 35 minutes. Add thyme during last 5 minutes of cooking time.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!