Created in the early 1900s by Louisville, Kentucky, restaurateur Jennie Benedict, Benedictine is a cool combination of cream cheese, cucumber, and onion. It makes the perfect spread for simple Benedictine Tea Sandwiches.
- 2 cups shredded seedless cucumber
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Whole wheat bread slices, crusts removed
- Garnish: thinly sliced cucumber, ground black pepper
- Place cucumber on several layers of paper towels. Cover with additional layers of paper towels, and press to extract excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add cucumber, mayonnaise, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper, stirring until combined.
- Cut bread into desired shapes. Top each with about 2 teaspoons cucumber spread. Garnish with cucumber slices and pepper, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!