These sweet Benne Wafers are full of rich flavor from vanilla, sesame seeds, and brown sugar.
Makes approximately 5 dozen
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¹/³ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325º. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, cook sesame seeds for 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring often. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet in a thin layer to cool.
- Place butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy. Add brown sugar; beat at medium speed until blended. Add egg yolk, beating until blended. Add vanilla, beating well.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Add cooled sesame seeds, stirring well. Spoon in ½ teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden and crispy. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack. Repeat with remaining wafer dough.
Don’t miss an issue of our delicious recipes, party ideas for every occasion, and more! Subscribe to Southern Lady today!