Old-fashioned goodies laced with vanilla and sesame seeds, Benne Wafers delight guests of all ages.
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread sesame seeds in a single layer on prepared pan. Toast until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool.
- Line rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, beating well. Beat in zest and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Beat in toasted sesame seeds. Using a 2-teaspoon scoop, drop batter 3 inches apart onto prepared pans. (Cookies will spread.)
- Bake until deep golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool on pans for 1 minute. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container with layers separated by wax paper.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!