With a cup of coffee, this Blackberry-Buttermilk Quick Bread will brighten up your morning.
Blackberry-Buttermilk Quick Bread
Makes 1 (8×4-inch) Loaf
- 2¼ cups plus 1 tablespoon self-rising flour, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh blackberries, halved if large
- Almond Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8×4-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2¼ cups flour and sugar. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, melted butter, vanilla, and zest. Make a well in center of flour mixture; add buttermilk mixture, and beat with a mixer at low speed until combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Reserve ½ cup batter. Spread half of remaining batter in prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, gently toss together blackberries and remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Arrange half of berries over batter. Repeat layers once. Drop reserved ½ cup batter by tablespoonfuls over top.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes, loosely covering with foil during last 10 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Spread Almond Glaze onto cooled loaf. Let stand until set, about 30 minutes.
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Use immediately.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!