Nutty Popcorn Balls
Makes 12 to 14 Servings
- 1 (15-ounce) jar cane syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 quarts popped corn
- Combine syrup, butter, cream of tartar and pecans.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring until the butter melts.
- Once butter melts, raise heat to medium. Do not stir until you reach the soft-crack stage. Remove from heat.
- Pour popcorn into large pan. Carefully pour hot mixture and stir as you’re pouring. A wooden spoon is best to work with. Oil your hands with either butter or oil, and fashion mixture into balls. Lay out on wax paper. When cool, wrap in plastic wrap, and store in a dry place. Depending on size of balls, the yield should be 12 to 18.
Book Title: Deep Harbor
Author: Fern Michaels
Q&A with the Author
Recipe: Nutty Popcorn Balls