Dried apples, raisins, walnuts, brown sugar, apple pie spice, and buttermilk combine to create a delicious Breakfast Bread.
Makes 6 mini loaves
- 1 cup dried apples, chopped
- ⅔ cup raisins
- 1 cup warm water (105° to 110°)
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons apple pie spice
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, divided
- 2 tablespoons sanding sugar
- Softened butter, to serve
- In a medium bowl, combine apples, raisins, and 1 cup warm water. Let stand for 15 minutes; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray 6 mini loaf pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, and apple pie spice. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and oil. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Gently fold in apples, raisins, and ½ cup walnuts. Divide batter among prepared pans. Top loaves with remaining 3 tablespoons walnuts, and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pans. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Serve toasted with softened butter, if desired. Store wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 5 days.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!