This Breakfast Strata with Sausage, Spinach, and Leeks is full of flavor.
Breakfast Strata with Sausage, Spinach, and Leeks
Makes 10 servings
Write a review
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 leeks, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (white and light-green parts only)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound smoked sausage*, diced
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach, stemmed
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf Italian bread, cubed and toasted
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add leeks and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove leeks, and add sausage. Cook over medium heat until browned, 6 to 8 minutes; remove sausage and let drain.
- In same skillet, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in spinach; cook until wilted.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, milk, mustard, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. In another large bowl, place cubed bread. Pour egg mixture over bread. Add leeks, garlic, sausage, mushrooms, and spinach; toss to combine. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
- *We used Conecuh.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/