Layer luscious grits and butter-drenched mushrooms for a petite delight packed with big flavor.
Browned Butter Mushroom and Cheese Grits Parfaits
- 1 (8-ounce) package gourmet blend mushrooms
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded extra sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ to ¾ cup half-and-half
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Garnish: chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a sheet pan with foil.
- In a large bowl, toss together mushrooms, oil, salt, and pepper. Place on prepared pan; bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Add grits, whisking to combine. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in mozzarella, Cheddar, and half-and-half. Cover until ready to use.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook until butter turns a medium-brown color and has a nutty aroma, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; add lemon juice, garlic, and thyme. Stir in mushrooms. Layer cheese grits and mushroom mixture in serving glasses. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!