This decadent Buttermilk Spice Cake with Molasses Buttercream will dazzle your love ones at Sunday supper.
Buttermilk Spice Cake with Molasses Buttercream
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Molasses Buttercream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, ginger, cloves, and allspice. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Spread Molasses Buttercream between layers and on top and sides of cake. Drizzle with molasses, if desired. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Makes about 5 cups
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl, beat butter with a mixer at medium-high speed until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. With mixer on medium-low speed, gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating just until combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. With mixer on medium speed, add molasses and salt, beating until combined, about 1 minute. Use immediately.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!