Our Butternut Squash and Kale Lasagna highlights the best of seasonal produce.
Butternut Squash and Kale Lasagna
Makes 8 servings
- 1 (4- to 4½-pound) butternut squash, peeled*
- 1 (16-ounce) container whole-milk ricotta cheese
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups Lacinato kale, stemmed and shredded
- 8 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- Garnish: shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut squash crosswise separating neck from the bulbous end. (Save bulbous end for another use.) Slice neck into 32 (¼-inch-thick) rounds. Place rounds on prepared pan.
- Bake until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ cup Parmesan, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and flour; whisk constantly until garlic is fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine, cream, and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer. Whisk until sauce begins to thicken, 15 to 20 minutes. Slowly whisk in remaining 1½ cups Parmesan cheese. Increase heat to medium and add kale; cook until kale is bright green and just softened, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Lightly spray 8 (8-ounce) ramekins with cooking spray. Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Cut each cooked noodle crosswise into 4 equal pieces.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons kale sauce into bottom of each ramekin. Layer 1 piece noodle, 2 teaspoons kale sauce, 1 tablespoon ricotta mixture, and a squash round; repeat 3 more times in each ramekin. Top each ramekin with 2 teaspoons kale sauce. Garnish with Parmesan, if desired.
- Bake uncovered until lasagna is bubbling and browning on top, 30 to 35 minutes.
*The neck of the squash should be about 4 inches in diameter.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!