Even children (and finicky grown-ups) will need no prompting to eat their vegetables when they get a taste of this fabulous Butternut Squash Mash recipe. Cheese and sour cream take the dish to a whole new level of delight.
Butternut Squash Mash
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 3 butternut squash (about 5 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- In a Dutch oven, place squash, water, and 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil; cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain squash well, and return to Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until all water has evaporated. Add butter, stirring until butter is melted. Add cheese, sour cream, sage, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, lemon juice, and red pepper, stirring to combine well.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/