In this inspired take on traditional cannoli, whole-milk ricotta and mascarpone cheese pack a double punch of rich flavor.
Write a review
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted, salted pistachios
- Garnish: crushed cannoli shells, chopped pistachios
- Place a large bowl in an ice-water bath. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, cream, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Bring just to a boil over medium heat. Slowly whisk one-third of hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Transfer egg mixture to saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer measures 180°. Remove pan from heat. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into prepared bowl. Whisk in ricotta, mascarpone, vanilla extract, and zest until smooth. Let cool until mixture registers 40°. Transfer to refrigerator, and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Fold in pistachios. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container, and freeze until firm. Garnish with crushed cannoli shells and chopped pistachios, if desired.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/