This spiced apple pound cake is drizzled with a decadent frosting of cream cheese and hot caramel topping, then sprinkled with walnuts for a crunchy finish.
Caramel Apple Pound Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
- 1½ cups butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1¼ cups firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped Granny Smith apple
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Cream Cheese Icing (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped walnuts, hot caramel topping*
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup hot caramel topping
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12-cup fluted pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat melted butter, granulated sugar, and 1 cup brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined.
- In another medium bowl, combine apples, cinnamon, and remaining ¼ cup brown sugar. Spoon one-third of batter into prepared pan; top with half of apples; repeat layers once. Top with remaining one-third of batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Top with Cream Cheese Icing. Garnish with walnuts and caramel topping, if desired.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar with a mixer at medium-low speed until smooth. Beat in milk and hot caramel topping until combined.
*We used Smucker’s Hot Caramel Topping.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipe, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!