Sprinkle these indulgent Caramel Pots de Crème with flaked sea salt just before serving.
Caramel Pots de Crème
MAKES 7 (4-OUNCE) SERVINGS
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups half-and-half, room temperature
- ¾ cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 large egg yolks
- Garnish: sea salt flakes
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over medium bowl; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and salt, whisking to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until aromatic and amber colored, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and slowly add half-and-half and milk, whisking to combine. Whisk in vanilla bean paste and vanilla extract. Return to medium heat, and cook until steaming (do not boil).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together yolks. Slowly pour half hot milk mixture into yolks, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to remaining milk mixture in pan, cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and an instant-read thermometer registers 175° to 182°. (Do not boil.)
- Immediately pour mixture through prepared fine-mesh sieve into bowl. Divide mixture evenly among 7 (4-ounce) ramekins. Gently tap the ramekins against the counter to remove any air bubbles. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and chill overnight or up to 3 days. Garnish with sea salt flakes, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!