Smoked paprika, diced tomatoes, garlic, and jalapeño jazz up black beans for a tantalizing side dish.
Caribbean Black Beans
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Garnish: chopped red bell pepper, cilantro leaves, sliced green onion, sliced jalapeño
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, jalapeño, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in beans, broth, tomatoes, and paprika; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in lime juice. Garnish with bell pepper, cilantro, green onion, and jalapeño, if desired.
Discover seasonal style ideas, delicious recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!