These aren’t your grandmother’s buttermilk pancakes but they’re still delicious!
Carrot Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1½ cups grated carrot
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Maple syrup, to serve
- Garnish: toasted chopped pecans, carrot curls
- Place carrot and 2 tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl. Add 2 cups boiling water, and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, zest, and remaining 4 tablespoons sugar. Stir in carrot.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add flour mixture to carrot mixture, stirring just until combined. (Do not overmix.) Fold in melted butter.
- Lightly brush a large nonstick skillet or griddle with canola oil, and heat over medium heat. Using a ¼-cup measuring cup, pour batter 1 inch apart onto prepared pan. Cook until bubbles appear on surface and bottom is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Turn pancakes; cook until bottom is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Serve with maple syrup. Garnish with pecans and carrot, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!