Warm up on cold nights with this comforting Cheddar, Ham, and Broccoli Chowder.
Cheddar, Ham, and Broccoli Chowder
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 8 ounces fully cooked ham, diced
- 1½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 (32-ounce) carton chicken stock, divided
- 4 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can condensed broccoli cheese soup
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Garnish: chopped steamed broccoli, shredded Cheddar cheese, fully cooked diced ham, and ground black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add ham; cook about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium; add remaining 3 tablespoons butter, garlic, and onion to pot. Cook until soft and fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and thyme, stirring constantly until lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add half of stock, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pot. Bring to a low boil, stirring frequently until thickened. Stir in remaining stock, broccoli, soup, salt, pepper, and cooked ham. Cover, simmer, stirring occasionally until broccoli is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Garnish with broccoli, cheese, ham, and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!