Chicken and Orzo Soup with Rosemary
Makes 10 servings
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- 4 large bone-in skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (1-pound) package carrots, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package orzo pasta
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh rosemary
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, combine chicken broth and chicken breasts. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth. Let cool slightly; remove and discard bones. Shred chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Add carrots, celery, and onion to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add orzo; cook for 10 minutes. Add reserved chicken, lemon juice, rosemary, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, stirring to combine. Garnish with fresh rosemary, if desired.
Don’t miss our delicious recipes, party ideas for every occasion, and seasonally themed special issues! Subscribe to Southern Lady today!