Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Write a review
- 12 cups water
- 4 skinless bone-in chicken breasts
- 2 medium yellow onions, quartered
- 3 stalks celery, cut into large pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 11/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 pounds andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice
- Garnish: chopped red bell pepper, chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, combine water, chicken, onion, celery, bay leaves, salt, and Creole seasoning over high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until chicken is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove chicken, and cool for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from bones, and chop into bite-size pieces; cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Strain broth, discarding solids, and set aside.
- In Dutch oven, combine flour and oil over medium-high heat. Whisking constantly, cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until flour mixture turns dark brown. Add onion, bell peppers, celery, and sausage, stirring to mix well. Add reserved chicken broth, and stir until well combined. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, uncovered, for 11/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. Skim surface to remove any fat. Stir in green onion and parsley; serve with hot cooked rice. Garnish with chopped red bell pepper and fresh parsley, if desired.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/