This Chicken Noodle Soup is the perfect cold weather comfort food.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 5 quarts water
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 6 bay leaves
- 3 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced carrot
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, combine chicken, water, parsley, bay leaves, carrots, celery, garlic, and onion. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Cool chicken slightly; remove and discard skin and bones. Chop chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside. Strain broth, discarding solids; set aside.
- In Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add diced carrot, diced celery, and diced onion. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender. Add reserved broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add noodles; cook for 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Add chicken; cook for 2 minutes or until heated through.
Southern Lady Magazine https://www.southernladymagazine.com/