This flavorful Chicken Primavera Soup is chock-full of carrots, leeks, garlic, pearl onions, lemon, zucchini, and fresh basil.
Chicken Primavera Soup
Makes about 4 quarts
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.25-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 cup peas
- Garnish: fresh basil leaves
- In a large Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add carrots and leek; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, onions, basil, lemon zest and juice, salt, black pepper, and red pepper; bring to a boil. Add pasta, and cook for 8 minutes. Add zucchini and peas; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Garnish with basil, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!