This Chocolate Bottom Pecan Pie will please everyone at the supper table.
Chocolate Bottom Pecan Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) Deep-Dish Pie
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold water
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 5 large eggs, room temperature and divided
- ¾ cup dark corn syrup
- ⅓ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, sugar, and salt; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, pulsing until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold water in a slow, steady stream until a dough forms. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13-inch circle. Transfer to prepared pan, pressing into bottom and up sides. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Freeze for 10 minutes. Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of plate. Add pie weights.
- Bake until edges are set, 12 to 15 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake 3 minutes more.
- For filling: In a medium bowl, whisk together melted chocolate, flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and 1 egg until combined. Pour into prepared crust. Refrigerate until set.
- In a large bowl, whisk together corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla, salt, remaining 1 cup granulated sugar, and remaining 4 eggs. Stir in pecans. Pour over chocolate layer. Lightly brush crust with cream.
- Bake until set, 40 to 50 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!