Add these Chocolate Espresso Melting Balls to hot milk, stir, and then relish the indulgent sipper served in a sugar-rimmed mug.
Chocolate Espresso Melting Balls
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate*, chopped and divided
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder, divided
- 1½ teaspoons hot cocoa mix, divided
- 1 (1.55-ounce) milk chocolate bar, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chocolate-covered espresso beans, chopped
- 6 cups hot whole milk
- Turbinado sugar
- In the top of a double boiler over medium-low heat, melt 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, stirring frequently, until an instant-read thermometer registers 115° to 120°. Remove from heat, and add remaining 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate. Gently stir until melted and thermometer registers 84° to 86°.
- Pour melted chocolate into 1½-inch-diameter wells of a 15-well half-sphere silicone mold. Tilt mold, until each well is completely covered with chocolate. Turn mold upside down over a bowl to drain excess chocolate. Using a large offset spatula, scrape any excess chocolate off the top of mold. Place mold on small baking sheet and refrigerate until set, about 5 minutes.
- Brush melted chocolate into wells again (if tempered chocolate cools too much, reheat over medium-low heat until thermometer registers 89° to 90°). Repeat tilting and draining excess chocolate. Do not scrape top of mold after second pour. Refrigerate until completely set, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chocolate half-spheres from mold by gently pressing the bottom of each well, breaking apart the excess chocolate on top, if necessary.
- In a small nonstick skillet over low heat, carefully place one half-sphere, hollow side down, and melt edges until even, about 2 seconds. Place on a flat surface, hollow side up, and fill with 1 teaspoon espresso powder and ¼ teaspoon hot cocoa mix. Carefully place another half-sphere, hollow side down, in skillet and melt edges until even, about 2 seconds. Place directly on top of filled half, creating a complete sphere. Use your finger to smooth any excess chocolate around seam. Repeat with remaining chocolate half-spheres until 6 complete spheres are created. (Use the last 3 half-spheres as extras in case a sphere is cracked or damaged. If unused, make another complete sphere.)
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave milk chocolate on 50% power in 15-second intervals, stirring well between each, until just melted and an instant-read thermometer registers 82° to 84°.
- Drizzle each sphere with melted milk chocolate. Sprinkle with espresso beans. Let cool until hardened, about 5 minutes. Place completed balls into mini paper cupcake liners in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To serve, dip mug rims in warm milk and then dip in turbinado sugar to coat the rim. Place 1 ball in each mug and add 1 cup hot milk. Serve immediately.
Discover inspiring style ideas, delicious recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!