Makes 6 servings
- 6 cups whole milk
- 12 cinnamon sticks, divided
- ½ cup sliced fresh ginger (about ¼ inch thick)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2¼ cups hot prepared espresso*
- 6 slices crystallized ginger
- Garnish: ground ginger, ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until scalded, 13 to 14 minutes. Remove from heat. Add 6 cinnamon sticks and fresh ginger; cover and let stand 15 minutes. Strain milk mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding cinnamon and ginger. Return milk mixture to pan. Add sugar; cook, stirring constantly, until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°. Carefully pour mixture into a large bowl and whisk until a dense froth forms, about 2 minutes.
- Add 6 tablespoons hot espresso to each of 6 cups. Pour 1 cup milk mixture into each cup of espresso, spooning froth on top. Top each with 1 cinnamon stick and 1 slice crystallized ginger. Garnish with ground ginger and ground cinnamon, if desired.
*We used Café Bustelo Instant Espresso.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!