Serve Cinnamon-Sugar Scones with zesty orange marmalade and cherry preserves for a teatime treat all will enjoy.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon orange zest
- Orange marmalade and cherry preserves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ⅓ cup sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup cream, vanilla, and zest. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until mixture is evenly moist. Dough may be shaggy or crumbly.
- On lightly floured surface, gently knead dough 4 to 6 times. Lightly dust surface with more flour if needed and roll to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a floured, 2-inch fluted square cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps once. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared pan.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining 2 tablespoons cream. In a small bowl, stir together remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle sugar mixture over tops of scones.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm with orange marmalade or cherry preserves, if desired.
Discover inspiring style ideas, delicious recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!