Classic Chicken à la King
Makes 6 servings
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen puff pastry shells*
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup diced yellow onion
- ¾ cup sliced carrot
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup fresh young peas
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimientos
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place puff pastry shells on prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove top of each pastry shell.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, salt, pepper, celery salt, and poultry seasoning; cook until onions are translucent. Whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking frequently, until flour turns a deep golden brown. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly as sauce thickens. Fold in chicken, peas, mushrooms, and pimientos.
- Fill each puff pastry with ¾ cup chicken mixture. Garnish with chives, if desired.
*We used Pepperidge Farm.
Discover inspiring style ideas, seasonal recipes, and more by ordering your Southern Lady subscription today!