Sugar, eggs, milk, orange zest, and vanilla bean combine to create delicious Classic Tea Cakes.
Classic Tea Cakes
MAKES ABOUT 24
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, beating well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, zest, and vanilla bean paste. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined a er each addition.
- Place dough in a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 2A round tip. Using even pressure, pipe 2½-inch rounds 1½ inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until edges are lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: Try this technique for consistently sized cookies: Using a ruler or cookie cutter as a guide, draw 2½-inch circles on a piece of parchment paper, leaving 1½ inches between each circle. Flip the parchment paper over and line the baking sheet. Pipe dough just to the edge of each circle.